Re: Running 6" Wide Minilites

To: David Tietz <mgcats@sprynet.com>
Subject: Re: Running 6" Wide Minilites
From: Ted Schumacher <tedtsimx@mail.bright.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 1997 21:14:11 -0500
David Tietz wrote:

> RE: Dave Stovall, RE: Bob Allen
>
> I too, am running 195HR65-15 inch tires on my '74 MGB-GT. Like Bob
> says, no problem up front, but things are a little tighter in the
> rear.
>
> I bolted bolt-on hubs on my wire wheel rear axle (which I determined
> would improve the offset), and it did. No problem hitting the fender
> wells, but I do get slight rubbing of the "bump-out" in the inner
> fender (above the axle center-line) when I make a sharp turn into a
> "up-hill" driveway. Apparently the rear axle's axis moves a fair
> amount relative to the body in that case. Also, I have 3/4 of an inch
> difference, one side to the other, and it rubs on the short side only.
> I couldn't center the axle, try as I might. I just make sure I do a
> generous radius turn in those conditions.
>
> I understand the wire wheel axle is about one inch shorter
> (flange-to-flange) than the bolt-on axle, and it works to your
> advantage with the offset the MOSS minilites have. BTW, I paid $600
> for all four from a MOSS dealer, got a $30 discount with some other
> stuff I bought, and didn't pay any shipping. They appear to be powder
> coated, and the castings are smooth as glass. Be careful of
> imitations.
>
> 195's may be too big, but they sure look nice... I get a lot of
> comments on the car since the conversion from the tatty old wire
> wheels I had. I can't tell any difference in the handling, but I am
> not the most observant of such details.
>
> For you folks up north, I took my '70 Roadster down to Sarasota (from
> St. Petersburg) last Sunday... upper 70's, NOT A CLOUD IN THE SKY, and
> going over the Sunshine Skyway Bridge was almost surreal... April
> can't be that far off for you guys, can it? (Make that May in
> Wisconsin, and June in northern Minnesota)
>
> Dave Tietz
> '74 MGB-GT Daily Driver-sporting mean looking wheels
> '70 MGB Weekend Driver-sporting tatty looking wire wheels from above
> vehicle
> '90 LeBaron with fake wire wheels (spoked wheel covers)
dave, why not finish the wheel installation and put a panhard bar under
the car.  this will keep the axle located under thecar and stop the
lateral movement.   you really sould take your car to a frame/alignment
shop and have them fix whatever is keeping the diff offset.  let me know
if we can help.  ted schumacher, ts imported automotive, pandora, oh
800/543-6648;  419/384-3272 fax. thanks, ted