Removing the B steering wheel

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Removing the B steering wheel
From: "Lee Daniels, daniels@tamu.edu" <DANIELS@alchem.chem.tamu.edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 13:00:01 -0600 (CST)
CAN'T GET THIS THING OFF.

I've had the steering wheel off the 'B before, but must've been generous
with the torque when reattaching it.  Now I need to remove it again. The
big nut is off, and I've tried the two known methods for the last couple of
days, without success:

A. Grab and 3 and 9 o'clock and rock to and fro - nothing doing, even to
the point that the steering wheel is almost bent.

B. Person A grabs the wheel, and while pulling back HARD, person B delivers
strong blows from a large hammer (via an appropriate punch or bar on the
center of the steering shaft).  No go here, either.

I've given it a couple of soaks with WD-40, will try again tonight, but I
WELCOME ANY SUGGESTIONS/IDEAS OF OTHER METHODS.

Thanks !!! - Lee

 Lee M. Daniels                 Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding
 daniels@cryogen.com                                      Texas A&M University
 '74 TR6  '77 MGB