MG "T" series sales brochure

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MG "T" series sales brochure
From: miker15@juno.com (MICHAEL J ROBSON)
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 1997 18:26:50 EST

My Father was sorting through some of his papers recently and found an
original "T" series sales brochure, he sent it to me this week and writes
".....I acquired it in 1938 after a sessionof pressing my nose up against
the showroom window...........In my opinion there was never another model
to compare to the TC"

For the benefit of you "T" series buffs I thought I would describe it and
quote a few parts, the brochure measures approx 10" x 6" and has 16 pages
made of very thick paper
The cover is light blue with a b+w pic of the front of a T angled upwards
from ground level next to the LH front wheel -

P. 2 - a b+w pic of Sir Malcom Campbell in a racing midget

P. 3 introduction - "There are names in the history of this country which
are common currency for speed. The Cheltenham Flier, - Englands fastest
train,the Schneider Cup Supermarine S.6- Englands fastest
seaplane;R.M.S."Queen Mary" - Englands fastest ocean liner.May we not
justly add to this category of fame the M.G.Midget - the Worlds fastest
small car?................................"
"The present model, known as the M.G.Midget Series "T" is a step up in
size. From an 8 h.p.car it now becomes a 10 h.p.car.................."

P. 4 more introduction, describing the cars attributes including the new
13.5 gallon fuel tank for "Those who drive long stretches at night or who
use specially(sic) blended fuel"

P. 5 b+w pic on light blur b'ground of the side profile of a "T".The
caption reads
                                  THE M.G. MIDGET
                                      SERIES "T"
                                   TWO - SEATER
                 (POUND STERLING) 222 EX WORKS
                                  Dunlop : Triplex
(btw in '38 i guess 222 pounds was about $888)

the pic shows a base car with no top a tonneau over the rear and the
windscreen folded forward

P. 6 Description of the cars "all-weather equipment
"The side curtains are particularly rigid and snug fitting. When they are
in position the car closes up in a real wet-proof and draught-proof way"

There is a b+w pic of "the Team of Series "T" Midgets after winning the
Team Prize in the 12 hour sports car race at Donington" (three cars
without wings and six very oily looking chaps with Fred Astaire
haircuts!)

P. 7 same caption as P.5 but showing a car with hood and screens.This pic
also shows the front of the car reg.no.MGT222 and a badge bar with
spotlight and horn.

P. 8 and 9- centrefold "some of the outstanding sports car features of
the M>G> Midget series "T"
there are eight spall pics at the edges describing elements including
controls, electrics, wheels,gearbox, windscreen, spare and petrol cap. In
the middle is a cut-away schematic of the car from the side and slightly
above

P.10 "performance data and press extracts"
there is a graph of mph vsrpm through the gears and four articles from
magazines in 1936- the bsst top speed recorded is 80.36 mph and the best
quarter mile 21 seconds

P.11 similar to pages 5 and 7 but the pic is angled from the RH rear
quarter showing a hood-less car reg.no.ARX440 - same caption

P.12 Specifications with drawings of the chassis, the carbs and the
Vernier control for distributor and oil filter - descriptions of Engine,
Transmission, Chassis, Silencing, Brakes, Wheels, Steering, and Controls

P.13 same blue b'ground as the other pics but this time of a rolling
chassis with engine transmission and diff and the caption has the note
"not supplied in chassis only form"

P.14 more specifications for Instruments, Electrics, Bodywork,
Finishes(saxe blue,racing green or emgee red with leather uphoulstery to
tone, cream with red uphoulstery or black exterior with blue, green,
biscuit or red uphoulstery.
Three drawings of shoch absorber, sliding trunnion and luggage space
plus diagrams of the car in bitds=eye view showing dimensions and of the
passenger compartment from the side
the date on this page is January 1938

P.16 a b+w photo of three cars captioned "J.M.Toulmin leading his
all-conquering M.G.Midget Series "T" team of "Cream Crackers" Their
latest successes include the M.C.C. 1937 Team Championship and the Team
Prize in the Experts Trial"
the cars reg.nos are ABL 960, ABL 962 and ABL 964
Thee is a sticker on this page from the dealership changing the prices!!!
TWO SEATER -  POUNDS 225
DROP HEAD COUPE - POUNDS 270
ERRATA-
SEVERAL INCLUDING AN INCREASTE IN THE SALES TAX TO EIGHT  POUNDS  FIVE
SHILLINGS! (about $35 at the time i guess!)

back cover - eight small pics of cars at races in 1937
at the bottom it gives the M.G phone number as follows
"Telephone : 251 (4 lines)   Telegrams : EMGEE"

Sorry to bore you all with this but I think this is a lovely piece of
memorabilia, interesting even to us "non-T" folk and next time theres a
question about what is original spec on a '38 I'll know the answer!!!

If anyone would like a copy of it i will get some made up - I  imagine it
could be reproduced quite well on one of the colour copiers  -

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
72 roadster