Re: TC Engine Color

To: Steve Brown <smbrown@annap.infi.net>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TC Engine Color
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@monmouth.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 08:47:55 -0500
At 10:19 PM 2/5/97 -0800, Steve Brown wrote:
>Anyone out there have a source for the correct engine paint color for a
>'46 MG TC?  Am I correct in believing it to be a grey?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Steve

Steve, yes...no...maybe. This is a favorite question, and comes up often. I
have seen many a parking lot debate over it. Funny thing, the question is
raised in the latest issue of the Octagon Car Club Magazine published in
England. That article basically holds what I have said on this list before.

After the war when TC production started ( I believe the first European car
to be put back into production ) the company bought, got , whatever,
surplus tank (green) and ship (battleship gray) paint. You see, the color
under the hood wasn't important. The engines and firewalls were painted
with this surplus paint until sometime in 1947. Depending on the day or
hour,  the mix for the paint varied from gray green to green gray, as they
were mixed. Thus any variation of the two is possible.

I used on my 47, Hirsch's "TC  Engine Green" as the quality and ease of
application is terrific. His gray green is as right as any other color.
1-800-828-2061. Hope this helps.(usual disclaimers)

Mike