Re: MGB axle nut size

To: Glenn Mapes <gmapes@ball.com>
Subject: Re: MGB axle nut size
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 1997 11:17:43 +0000
Glenn Mapes wrote:

> Hi All
> A friend is trying to rebuild the rear axle from a 1965 MGB (early style
> rear axle).  He has measured the size of the nut that holds part of the axle
> assembly to the housing as 1 15/16.  He has not been able to locate a socket
> of that size (Snap-On, Mac, Sears, etc).  My questions are:
> 1. is this the correct size?
> 2. if so, where can one obtain a socket of that size?

When I did the same work on a Midget I owned, I went down to my favorite
tool store and spent about $80 on a 'complete' 3/4 inch drive socket set
made by a quality outfit by our friends in mainland China.

I don't remeber the exact size of the nut. But I do remeber I took it
off and put it back on with my new tool set. When you're talking 1
15/16, using a socket 1/16 too big ain't no big deal.

Make sure you let your friend know that the nut is reverse threaded on
the driver side. Or he may figure that out as he is holding up the back
half of the Midget by a six foot length of black pipe cheater bar (like
I did).

The other nice thing about buying the tool set is that you see a lot
more of your fellow club members and they soon all owe you a favor for
borrowing the tool set.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6