Good Govt.

To: british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Good Govt.
From: RFeibusch@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 13:35:47 -0500 (EST)
Dear Digest-ers,
I just received a reply from California State Senator Quinten Kopp about his
bill to exempt cars that are over 25 years old from the smog requirements.
 All California residents should send him emails of support anthen call or
write YOUR State Senator and tell him of your support.
This is the kind of grass roots politics that CAN make a difference to your
future.  Get all of your friends to do the same.  Don't put this off.  The
front line against the Govt. regulating our cars to show and parade use only
is right here in CA. and it's not often that you are given an oppertunity to
say anything about dumb legislation.
Remember, the Kumbuya singing, Birkenstock wearing, tofu eatin', tree huggers
(not that there's anything wrong with that and I mean it in the nicest,
politically correct sort of way) and the folks in govt. that listen to them
feel that YOUR car is a hunk of solid waste, filled to the brim with toxic
wastes.
One of my Kumbuya neighbors comes out EVERY time I start my V8 Malibu (you
can hear the new Magnaflow turbo mufflers all over the neighborhood) and
comments about all of the babies and elderly people that I'm killing with
"that outdated smog machine."  "Why don't you get rid of that wreck and get a
Honda or a Saturn that will be much more friendly to living things?"
I usually say Kiss my ass Bob, and squeal the tyres a bit as I leave. He's
after our cars and more than likely writes to everybody from Al Gore to Santa
Claus.
Now it's YOUR turn call and write everybody that you can think of and SHOW
YOUR SUPPORT or Bob and his buddies will have us all driving econoboxes ALL
of the time! I've enclosed a copy of what Sen. Kopp sent me.  DON'T DELAY, DO
IT TODAY!

 Dear Mr. Feibusch:

         Thank you for your letter and expression of support for
SB 42 which would provide some measure of relief to classic car owners.
 Others who may wish to communicate their support to me and my colleagues in
the Legislature can do so via the Internet or letters to members' offices in
the State Capitol.

I believe that the relatively modest number of vehicles older than 25 years
and the operating characteristics of such vehicles provide a firm basis for
the smog check exemption proposed in my legislation.  As I have stated on
numerous occasions, I will endeavor to make the smog check program fair,
effective and convenient to the public.

           Sincerely yours,

           QUENTIN L. KOPP

        QLK/sjm