overdrive speedometer

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: overdrive speedometer
From: Kenneth Scott <KSCOTT@holycross.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 10:47:25 -0500
I have a 1977 MGB roadster which I purchased without an overdrive.  I
got tired of the scream as it travelled the superhighways at
keep-up-with-the-others speeds. (Why would I travel the highways as
opposed to the byeways?  The back roads of Vermont are far more
enjoyable but when you leave central Massachusetts on a Saturday
morning to go to some nice little restaurant in Canada for lunch you must
make time.)  I lucked out and got an overdrive&tranny for $325.  Installed
it and it worked fine.  Speedometer is right on.  My question is:  Why do I
see references to changing speedometers when switching to overdrive
unit?  If you fit an overdrive unit of the same vintage as the vehicle
shouldn't the speedometer be OK?  Was I just lucky?  Inquiring minds
want to know!

Ken - It's a really good restaurant - Scott