Re: MGB Seatbelt recall recalled...

To: CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu
Subject: Re: MGB Seatbelt recall recalled...
From: damitdick@juno.com (W. J. Richard Criswell)
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 20:51:04 EST
On Wed, 12 Feb 1997 10:50:00 -0800 (PST) "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER"
<CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu> writes:

>I just spoke to Patty Shoap at Rover regarding replacing the seatbelts
on my
>80 MGB which were covered under the 77 - 80 seatbelt recall. Apparently,

>they are reconsidering if they are going to honor the recall. She has
not
>had seatbelts since October and is not expecting them any time soon. She
is
>waiting for word from the legal department but does not expect any soon.
>cannot imagine how a company can admit installing a safety device prone
>failure, agree to replace it and then decide to screw the rest of the
people
>with defective seatbelts by deciding not to replace the seatbelts for
all vehicles they  >admit were affected. I don't think my next car will
be a
>Rover...
>
>Chris Reichle

Chris...

Don;t be so hard on Rover. After all they didn't cause the problem. They
just inherited it. Before Rover it was Jaguar who was handling the
recall. They just inherited it too. The problem actually belongs to MG
and it's parent company at the time British Leyland.

Also the cars covered by that recall are now 17 - 20 years old! Just what
is the life expectancy of a seat belt anyway? Also for how many years
should a company be reasonably expected to stand behind a recall?

Dick 8>)
Vintage Parts & Products
Camarillo, CA
Have MG will travel