FCC Access Charge Reform (LONG, but helpful info included!)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net, f-body-classic@bb-elec.com
Subject: FCC Access Charge Reform (LONG, but helpful info included!)
From: Carol <car@texas.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 02:16:52 -0600
All list members and friends:

I received the following post from the president of Texas Net, my Internet
provider. Until this evening, I wasn't sure whether or not the messages
hitting the lists were based on fact. After visiting the FCC web site, I am
know that they are indeed based on fact. Most of the comments (if not all)
that are available for download from the site are from the
telephone/communications companies.

I have drafted my message to the "committee" and hope that you all will do
the same. My guess is that if ATT and Southwestern Bell's on-line services
were at the top of the ISP heap, this wouldn't be going on. BTW, those
names are conspicuously absent from the "comments" listed at the FCC site.

The "Reply Comment Date" is/was supposedly 2/13/97. I don't think it would
hurt to put a few more messages into the e-mail box in Washington, D.C.!

I have no intention of sitting here quietly and just "letting" this
*reform* happen. I may not have a big effect on the outcome of the hearing,
but collectively, maybe WE can.

Please note the "hints" for writing a comment.  After I read the word
"logical" in the hints I had to delete my first draft and start over! ;-)
A logical presentation will go a lot farther than an emotional one in this
case.

Carol  (who *used to* defend ATT and Southwestern Bell!!)

>To: "All Texas.Net Subscribers" <Subscribers@texas.net>
>Subject: FCC Per Minute Charges -- What You Can Do

>Dear Texas.Net customer,

>We are writing you this to inform you of a very important matter
>currently under review by the FCC.  Your local telephone company
>has filed a proposal with the FCC to impose per minute charges
>for your internet service. They contend that your usage has or will
>hinder the operation of the telephone network.

>It is our belief that internet usage will diminish if users were required
>to pay additional per minute charges.  The FCC has created an
>email box for your comments; responses must be received by
>February 13, 1997.  Send your comments to isp@fcc.gov and tell
>them what you think.

>Alert everyone in your addressbook, and most importantly the subject
>line should have "CC Docket No 96-263". FULL NAME AND ADDRESS
>SHOULD ACCOMPANY THE EMAIL otherwise it will be deleted. Again,
>the email to the FCC is isp@fcc.gov.

>More information can be found at the FCC website:
>         http://www.fcc.gov/isp.html

>Please forward this email to all your friends on the internet so all our
>voices may be heard.

>Thanks for your time.

>Jonah Yokubaitis
>Rony Yokubaitis
>Carolyn Yokubaitis

>Owners Texas.Net

[The information immediately below was copied verbatim from the FCC Web
site at:

http://www.fcc.gov/isp.html]

Access Charge Reform NPRM:

In this proceeding, the FCC seeks to reform its system of interstate access
charges to make that system compatible with the pro-competitive
deregulatory framework established by the telecommunications Act of 1996.
The NPRM includes several proposals for reform of the Commission's existing
access charge rate level policies. The Commission outlines two possible
approaches for addressing claims that existing access charge levels are
excessive, for establishing a transition to access charges that more
closely reflect economic costs, and for deregulating incumbent LEC exchange
access services as competition develops in the local exchange and exchange
access markets.

Comment Date: January 27, 1997
Reply Comment Date: February 13, 1997

Comments on the Access Charge Reform NPRM (FCC 96-488) are now available
for downloading. 1/31/97.

Internet Access & Information Service Provider NOI

The NOI seeks comment on whether the FCC should, in addition to access
charge reform, consider actions relating to the implications of information
service and Internet access provider usage of the public switched network.
In particular, in light of concerns raised over congestion on the public
switched network, the Commission seeks comment on how it can most
effectively create incentives for the deployment of services and facilities
to allow more efficient transport of data traffic to and from end users.
The Commission made no specific proposals, but tentatively concluded that
providers of information services (including Internet service providers)
should not be subject to the interstate access charges that local telephone
companies currently assess on long-distance carriers.

Comment Date: March 24, 1997
Reply Comment Date: April 23, 1997

[The information immediately below was copied verbatim from the FCC Web
site at

http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Miscellaneous/Factsheets/comments.hlp]

April, 1995

Hints on Filing Comments with the FCC

The FCC is interested in any experiences, knowledge, or insights that
outside parties may have to shed light on issues and questions raised in
the rule making process.  The public and industry have the opportunity to
comment upon Petitions for Rule Makings, NOI's, NPRM's, Further NPRM's,
Report and Orders, and others' comments on the aforementioned documents.
It is a common misconception that
one must be a lawyer to be able to file comments with the FCC, but all that
is necessary is an interest in an issue and the ability to read and follow
directions.

Prior to drafting comments, it is crucial to read and understand fully the
item you wish to comment on.  Usually, the NPRM, NOI, or other item will
specify and invite comment upon the issue(s) that the Commission is
interested in studying further. Examination of the issue(s) and relevant
documents is the most important part of the comment process.  Comments may
take any form, but below are some hints to assist you in writing them.

Format:  There is no required format for informal comments, although if you
plan to file formally, it is required that they be typed, double-spaced,
and on 8.5" x 11" paper.  Additional requirements for formal filings are
set forth in Sections 1.49 and 1.419 of the FCC Rules.  The Docket Number
or Rule Making Number of the item at hand should be included on your
comments, and can be found on the front page
of the Commission document or public notice.  You should also include your
name and complete mailing address.

Content: Your comments should state who you are and what your specific
interest is.  (You do not need to represent yourself in an official
capacity. You may, for example, express your opinion as a concerned
consumer, concerned parent, etc. and sign your name.) State your position
and the facts directly, as thoroughly but as briefly as possible.  Explain
your position as it relates to your experience and be
explicit. Make clear if the details of a proposed rule or only one of
several provisions of the rule are objectionable.  If the rule would be
acceptable with certain safeguards, explain them and why they are necessary.

Support:  Statements of agreement or dissent in comments should be
supported to the best extent possible by factual (studies, statistics,
etc.), logical, and/or legal information. Support should illustrate why
your position is in the public interest. The more support made, the more
persuasive the comments will be.

Length:  Comments may be any length, although it is preferred that they be
succinct and direct.  If formal comments are longer than ten pages, it is
required that they include a summary sheet.

Time Frame:  Your comments should be submitted well within the time frame
designated on the original document or public notice.  It is almost always
included on the first page of an NPRM or NOI. However if the deadline has
passed, you can still submit your views informally in a permissible ex
parte presentation.

Filing:  Send your written comments to Secretary, Federal Communications
Commission, 1919 M Street, N.W., Washington, D.C.  20554.  If you wish your
comments to be received as an informal filing, submit the original and one
copy.  If you want your comments to be received as a formal filing, you
should submit an original and four copies.  For more specific filing
information, please refer to the
FCC Public Notice "Guidelines for Uniform Filings" available from the same
address.

Reply Comments:  As the name implies, reply comments are used to respond to
comments filed by other parties.  You may file reply comments even if you
did not submit comments initially.  When drafting reply comments, use the
same guidelines expressed above regarding content and be careful not to
raise additional or irrelevant issues.

Tracking your Comments:  After you have properly filed your comments with
the FCC, they will be part of the official Commission record.  To track the
progress of proceedings in which you have filed comments, you may check the
Daily Digest or Federal Register for releases and notices.  The Daily
Digest can be obtained from the Office of Public Affairs, 1919 M Street
N.W., Washington, D.C.  20554 or from a daily recorded listing of texts and
releases at (202) 418-2222.

For Further Information:  For further information, you may directly contact
the Secretary's office at the FCC, (202) 418-0300.  Explicit information
about filings in rule making proceedings can be found in Sections 1.49 and
1.419 of the FCC Rules.  Copies of any FCC documents can be obtained
through the FCC's duplicating contractor, ITS, 1919 M Street N.W., Room
246, Washington, D.C. 20554, (202) 857-3800 or from one of the private
distributors of FCC releases.  A list of distributors is available from the
Public Service Division, 1919 M Street N.W., Room 254, Washington, D.C.
20554, (202) 418-0190.