Re: LBA (aircraft) - Reply

To: johnc@nait.ab.ca, engconn@infi.net, homestay@infolearn.com.au
Subject: Re: LBA (aircraft) - Reply
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 06:08:56 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-02-13 15:11:10 EST, johnc@nait.ab.ca (John Crawley)
writes:

<< Geoff:
 My father-inlaw (deceased) flew Spits in WWII. He arrived late for
 the Battle of Br. but did three full tours (93 hrs. of Ops., 305 hrs.
 in Spits, ) all in Spits - 3 kills - and never got a scratch. Ended
 the war in Mustangs (26 hrs.). I have his RCAF flight jacket and a
 copy of his flight log book.
 My question to you is there a WWII air field still in existance in
 England? I would love to visit one at some time. During training
 Frank flew out of a number of Airfields in Canada and I have visited
 several of these. Some are now farmers fields and others are quite as
 they were in WWII. In Eng. he few from Hawkinge, Twinwood Farm,
 Molsworth, Parrenporth, Friston and others. Also were is the best
 Spitfire display located?
 Thanks
 Godspeed
 JC >>

Gentlemen,

According to my 1986 of Fly Past, there were 158 Spitfires still in existance
in 24 countries. 69 of them were in the UK. Eight of them were airworthy,
eight more were in the process of being restored to airworthy status.

Geoff, I wonder if the one you flew is still in existance?

R. Johnson - Dallas