Clutch Creep

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Clutch Creep
From: William Mills <williem@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 20:26:26 -0500
       I need to know what to check first about my clutch operation.  Clutch
was operating fine until today.  While sitting at a red light with the car
in gear and clutch pedal depressed, I suddenly could feel the car trying to
pull forward.  Of course the clutch pedal was already depressed so I quickly
popped the shift out of gear to avoid moving into the car stopped in front
of me.  As I left the light I could tell that my friction point was now at
the bottom of the clutch travel.  Pumped the pedal a couple of times and the
proper friction point was restored (about one-third from the floor).  I
pulled off to a safer area to try it out.  Sure enough, as I held the clutch
in the clutch was creeping to engage.  Checked the fluid level in the clutch
master cylinder. It was down a little but certainly not enough to have
sucked air into the clutch hydraulic system.  I went ahead and topped up the
reservior anyway.  I assume that the fluid is leaking internally by the
seals in  either the clutch master cylinder or the slave cylinder.  No
evidence of any external leakage yet.

Now finally to the question,  how do I find out which component is in need
of rebuild or replacement.  My first thought is to go ahead and replace the
slave cylinder and hose.  New slaves are not that expensive and this job
would be much easier than removing and overhauling the master cylinder.  Is
there any way that I can determine where the problem lies, master cylinder
or slave?

On a different topic, I just received my copy of John Twist's Tech Book,
this is the recently revised version.  A wealth of information and help,
well worth the $20 which also covered the shipping.  Thank you, Mr. Twist.

Bill Mills
'74BGT
http://angelfire.com/nc/mgbguy