Re: Waxing Glass [was Re: Windscreen Refurbishment]

To: nolan penney <npenney@concentric.net>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Waxing Glass [was Re: Windscreen Refurbishment]
From: Paul Hunt <on76@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 97 15:52:49 GMT

> > Your mention of wax peeked my curiousity. If the wipers don't like
> > "Jubilee", I wonder how one of those "hard" vinyl flooring treatments might
> > work.
>
> I rather doubt it.  Wipers seem to hate anything that gives any form
> of traction.  Although as a confusing
> counterpoint, truly clean glass is not very slippery either.

Wipers work, not by wiping water off the glass, but rather by spreading it out
evenly in a very thin layer and only flicking off the excess.  The very thin
layer drys quickly to leave the glass clean and clear.  Hence anything that
stops the water spreading evenly e.g. polish or oil, results in blobbing and
streaking behind the blade.

PaulH
73 Roadster (HD&H)
75 V8 (DD)