Re: Solid Wheels.

To: Geoff Love <engconn@infi.net>
Subject: Re: Solid Wheels.
From: Jarl/Carol <deboer@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 20:06:05 -0800
Geoff Love wrote:

> Does anyone know of any person or company offering solid wheel truing
> services?  I am particularly thinking of the disc wheels used on the MG
> TD and TF motorcars.  Has anyone had any experience of being able to
> 'restore' buckled or out of round disc wheels?  All contributions
> gratefully received.

Geoff, there's a wheel shop here in Walnut Creek that straightens wheels
with pretty good success. They mount the wheel on an arbor and use a
roller to apply side-ways pressure to force the rim back into line.
there doesn't seem much that can be done about true "ovalising", but
often it is only the rim, especially at the inner (or overhang due to
offset, side) side being depressed due to impact. That CAN be corrected
reasonably well. Of course, damage due to kerb strike can only be
repaired, to an extent, with hammer and dolly. They just corrected a
3/4" "wobble" on a 16" on my YT, and it now runs true within about .025
They occasionally let my son use the equipment and he has done several
Alfa 1900 wheels with good results.

BTW, having spent my younger days under occupation in Holland, I used to
sneak out and watch the V2s launch (I believe there was only one V1
"hockeystick" in Holland as the distance was too great, Pas de Calais
was much closer) They might not have "wobbled" but I saw at least a
couple of them make U turns at about 1500 meters which was cause for
great glee, at least amongst the Dutch!.