Re: Pick-ups

To: GOFASTMG@aol.com
Subject: Re: Pick-ups
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 15:46:08 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 18 Feb 1997 GOFASTMG@aol.com wrote:

> A similar incident happened to  a cousin of mine several (many!) years ago.
>  She had a Renault Dauphine while a senior in high school. Being a
> cheerleader, most of the football players knew her and were forever mucking
> about with her little car, moving it etc.
>   One day she was sitting in the parking lot with the engine idleing, it
> being a bit cold, when a couple of linemen types decided to give her a bit of
> scare. They sneaked up behind and quickly lifted the rear end off the ground.

OK, I have kept quiet so far, but this raises memories of the days when
foreign cars were still novelties.  I used to drive my father's Dauphine
to work because it was wonderful to park in very tight places--just back
the rear in to the curb, then get out and drag the front over to the
curb.  That was, alas, the only wonderful thing about it.

Service stations would fairly often refuse to put gas into foreign cars
because we should be driving good 'murican cars.

I once bought a 3 year old Ford Anglia for $312.50 in Staunton Illinois.
The dealer was willing to take almost any offer.  The previous owner had
bought it in St. Louis, and started to Chicago.  He reportedly became
frightened when the first 18 wheeler passed him.  The lug nuts spinning by
at the level of his nose was too much -- he pulled off at the next town,
and traded it for a Chevy.  The reverse slope rear window was great;
can't imagine why so few cars had this.  Gee, now I find myself wanting
another; I had better lie down.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910