Two emissions questions for 75 Midget

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Two emissions questions for 75 Midget
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 23:20:38 -0500
Just trying to get my Midget back in optimal shape. Two questions
that aren't all that clear on the shop manual diagrams.

  (This is a Canadian or US Midget, with single Stromberg)

  The diagram shows the vacuum line leaves the distributor vacuum
retard unit, goes to a flame trap at the front of the manifold,
and then reads "to carbeurettor". Where on the carb does it
attach? The shop manual shows later cars attaching to the
"rear" of the carb (left side to an air particle passing through)
but not for 75, sort of a contradiction.

  Also, the hot air hose connects to where? All the diagrams
show it heading under the inlet manifold, and I am aware it
draws hot air from the exhaust manifold, but I don't
see a connection point?

  Any extra information appreciated. There are no emission checks
here in Canada, so originality is not that important. I just
want the car to work the best with minimal changes. I know that
some of my emissions hoses are hooked up incorrectly, and I
am trying to sort out the mess.

  Also, if there is a good source as to how best to just
remove all this stuff, I wouldn't mind seeing it. I have
Lindsay Porter's book, but it devotes all of a paragraph
to the 1500 engine, saying that it is "similar to the
1275 except you may have to experiment blah blah". Gosh,
thanks Lindsay.

  I don't have it as my goal to remove all the emissions
gear, but if a section of mine is missing pieces or
confused beyond repair, I am not intending to spend
cash to replace it either.

  Thanks!

--
 /       Trevor Boicey          1992 Celica GT    1975 MG Midget    /