RE: MGA Wire Conversion

To: "'George Procyshyn'" <geopro@cyberdrive.net>
Subject: RE: MGA Wire Conversion
From: "Unger, Larry G @ MAN" <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 11:29:20 -0500
>>In planning the disc to wire wheel conversion for my MGA,
>>I figure I need to change;
>>* Wire wheel axle's (rear)
>>* Wire wheel hubs (rear)
>>* Are the nuts & studs different?
>>* Wire wheel hubs (front)
>>* The wheels & knockoffs
>>Am I missing anything?

The overall width of the rear housing is greater for disc wheels
than wire wheel axles ... IOW, there are two different housings.
I've chatted with a gent that was running wire wheel half shafts
in a disc wheel housing ... the wire wheel half shafts are not long
enough to fully engage into in the differential ... he sheared the
splines off a half shaft underload ...  granted he is running a
Judson Supercharger ;^) ... he has since fitted the appropriate
housing.  I would reccommend that you fit a wire wheel housing.

>>I might be able to use parts from a 1970 wire wheel MGB. Are the
>>axle's & hubs interchangeable with a 1500 MGA?

Nope ...

The 'banjo' type rear fitted to the 'A' was also fitted to 'B' roadsters
thru '67 ... all other 'B's were fitted with the 'tube' type rear axle.
The 1500 'A's have 10 spline half shafts ... 1600 'A's and the 'B's
have 25 spline half shafts.  The 25 spline half shafts can be fitted
to the 1500 'A' provided that 25 spline 'sun' gears are also fitted to
the differential.

Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com

 '61 MGA 1600 MkII
 Bob Allen Certified