Re: Compact Spare

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net (mgs)
Subject: Re: Compact Spare
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 10:51:14 -0600 (CST)
GOFASTMG@aol.com writes:

> Yes. Generally speaking, most wire wheel on LBC will transfer to another W/W
> hub, irregardless of the size of the rim.  Seems there was only one  popular
> hub/spline size and it was used my the majority of manufacturers during the
> same era.
>
>  So, you can put a Midget 13" in the boot for a spare, and run 15" MGC wheels
> on the ground if you like.

... but why would you do this?  I thought the objective of this
bourgeois quest was the liberation of a few cubic inches of boot space.
Sure, a wheel that's two inches smaller in diameter will contribute a
bit to the cause, but really only in that one dimension.  A Midge 13" WW
is essentially the same width as a 'C 15", after all.  On top of that,
should you ever actually need to use such a spare, one corner of your
car will be precariously closer to the pavement than the others (and we
all know that you should NEVER run tires of differing diameters on the
driven axle, don't we?).

I say keep the diameter the same.  Look for space savings, if you must,
in the width of the wheel instead.  Hard to do with WW, yeah, but LBCs
DO involve compromises.

--

Todd "Or buy Run-Flat tires and chuck the spare altogether" Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Tourer in pieces (but getting there)
'72 MGB Tourer parts-o-rama

"I could go at any time..."