Re: Scarborough Faire

To: tallen@csc.sctboces.org
Subject: Re: Scarborough Faire
From: kgstuart@juno.com (RANDELL S KEGG)
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 1997 20:45:57 PST
I have been reading about everyone's experience with SF, and I guess it's
time to let you know what I think........
        I have been dealing with SF for my MGA for 3 years. I had ordered
a spare tire cover from Moss and received this cheesy carpet thing. The
original is supposed to be grey textured vinyl with a jute backing. So I
 sent the carpet thing back to Moss, and tried SF. Their tire cover was
very close to original, and cheaper. Since then, I have spent mucho
dinero with SF.  I have heard the horror stories of others; my
experiences have been better, but not perfect. The quality of their
parts is generally better than Moss or VB. Their interior and trim parts
for an MGA , in particular, are the nicest that I have seen.  Their
prices are lower than the other two, as well; especially if you put
together a large order.  I too have occasionally had an argument on the
phone over little things, but nothing serious.  They sometimes balk at
taking something back, but in the end, they have stood behind their product.
They definitely do not handle backorder situations well, and they
are not prompt about assembling and shipping an order..  Here are the
secrets to dealing with SF:

- Don't order anything that they do not have in stock. Just don't get
sucked into the backorder situation.
- If you need your parts in a hurry, ask to speak to Celia,(one of the
owners). Explain your needs to her, and be frank.
-Follow up on your order. Two days after you call, call them up and find out if
it is shipped. If not, talk to Celia, and be frank. (who is this
Frank guy?).
- Never call on Saturday, the computer is down , and they can't confirm
their inventory.

Now.... You may be wondering why I bother. The truth is that  if you want
MGA parts that are closer to OEM than Moss or VB, and cheaper, SF is it.
I have gotten to know Celia, and find her to be a wealth of information
on the MGA, and she is happy to help with a technical question. I see
her at all the shows, and if she has time, we talk about English cars.
I continue to deal with them because, although their service is not
always  good, it is still worth it to me.

Randy Kegg
1958 MGA
1966 Morris Traveller
1964 Porsche 356C