RE: 6V to 12V battery conversion

To: "Mike Powell" <mpowell@cstone.net>, "Mike Powell" <mpowell@cstone.net>,
Subject: RE: 6V to 12V battery conversion
From: "doug russell" <dr-doug@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 97 13:38:13 UT
Mike,

There are 12V batteries that will fit in one of the 6V compartments.  I have
heard that Interstate is the recommended brand (other opinions???) - sorry -
but I don't have the model #.

Also consider the plastic battery box available from most vendors (e.g.,
Victoria British  part #10-340 or 10-341 depending on year for about $35 each
-- 1-800-255-0088) - get two and use the other compartment for storage.  If
you get the plastic battery container you can take it with you when you go
battery shopping to assure proper fit.  I also think you will need to stick
with a top post battery.  I'm not sure what the cold cranking amp spec is
other than "as much as possible" - perhaps someone knows the CCA spec

You will, in all probability, have to replace the battery cable - consider
welding cable to connect the hot post to the starter - this allows more amps
to get to the starter than conventional battery cable (useful for those cold
starts).  Also make sure you have a good ground from the neg. post to body AND
from engine to body (there is a ground wire/ribbon from the block to body) -
lack of a good ground will definitely interfere with cranking ability.

Good luck

Dr. Doug
69 C Rdst
69 C GT