Re: RE: dead batteries

To: "REICHLE," CHRISTOPHER <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>,
Subject: Re: RE: dead batteries
From: Paul Hunt <on76@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 97 19:52:57 GMT

> I noticed that too. My Ford Probe batery died a year and a half after we
> purchased it in 94. I could not believe that it was the battery. One day it
> worked fine the next, dead. The odd thing is that the lights light and
> everything but the car wouldn't even crank. I wonder if the computers in
> modern cars prevent the ignition from working if the battery falls below a
> treshhold level. I do not recall seeing a modern car struggle to start with
> a weak battery like the old ones do. They either go or don't.
>
> Chris Reichle
>  ----------
> From: mgs-owner
> To: jensen-cars
> Cc: mgs
> Subject: dead batteries
> Date: Monday, March 03, 1997 10:16PM
>
> In one of those delicious ironies, I had to jump start my Grand Cherokee
> with my Interceptor today (I'm sure I could hear the Jensen snickering).
> While I was doing so, I pondered the way batteries just go DEAD. Seeming
> fine one minute, dead the next. Am I remembering correctly that in the old
> days a battery seemed to go out more gradually? Is it the load demand of
> modern cars? Battery techonolgy? Generator vs. alternator? Brain cells
> playing tricks on my 41 yearold memory?
>
> Michael, New Bern, NC

In the 70's I had a Morris Marina supplied with a Lucas Pacemaker (I'm sure
this is what it was called, but you wouldn't want it in your chest) battery
with a translucent case and a red top.  These were brilliant (Ho) batteries
right up to the end, but then failed without warning.

PaulH
73 Roadster HD&H
75 V8 DD