Re: Ignition light Problem

To: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Subject: Re: Ignition light Problem
From: Jarl/Carol <deboer@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 1997 09:53:00 -0800
REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER wrote:

> Check the ground cable from your engine to the chasis and the ground cable
> from the battery to the chasis. One of them has probably degraded to a point
> where they do not allow enough current to start the car with the lights on.
> Terminals might be corroded. This stuff is cheap to replace, it might be
> worth it to just replace them and see if it fixes the problem. How old is
> your battery? Is it possible that it is going bad and cannot hold enough
> charge? (generally, I don't believe you should put your car through the hell
> of trying to start with the headlights on. First start then turn them on and
> your car will be happier)
>
> Chris Reichle

To add to this thread, it is a GOOD idea to every year or so do the
following: 1) disconnect the high tension lead at the coil so the engine
will not start. 2) have a set of jumper cables handy. 3) connect ONE of
the cables to a good ground on the CHASSIS at one end and hold the other
end. 4) while a friend cranks the starter from inside the car, clamp the
end you're holding to a good contact on the ENGINE. 5) if there is a
noticeable increase in cranking speed, you need to replace your engine
grounding strap. Another "quick and dirty" way to check is to feel your
choke cable right after starting your engine. If it is warm you have a
poor ground.  Jarl