Re: Hoods

To: Geoff Love <engconn@infi.net>, Mark Sherman <MARKSHERMAN@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Hoods
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@monmouth.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 1997 18:45:39 -0500
At 05:46 PM 3/8/97 -0500, Geoff Love wrote:
>Mark Sherman wrote:
>>
>> Any advice out there on re-dying a canvas hood?
>> My TD has a black canvas hood that is in good condition except it is so
>> faded on the outside that it is almost back to natural. (Inside, it is
>> jet black.)  Has anyone had any experience re-dying a hood black?
>>
>> Mark Sherman
>

>Mark:
>
>There is an advertisment in the January issue of The Bulletin, (the
>monthly magazine of the Octagon Car Club of Great Britain) which claims
>to offer just the stuff you need.  It is a paint-on black stain designed
>to both waterproof and restore the colour to a black hood.  For info.
>phone 01932 224481 any time, (but remember the time difference!)
>
>If you are not a member of this club and are a T Type owner, wanting
>strong back up support for your interest in pre 1956 MG cars, then I
>STRONGLY recommend you join.  The magazine is produced monthly, runs to
>about 50 pages each issue, has a colour plate centre section, is an
>absolute mine of practical mechanical tips usually generated by members
>writing up their experiences, and is devoted to the "everyday usage" of
>T-Series cars.  From an MG owners point of view, it licks "The Sacred
>Octagon" into a cocked hat unless, of course, your interest lies in
>looking at photos of Mr Knudsen's family or people in fancy dress, in
>which case stick to the TSO.
>
>The numbers for the secretary, Harry Crutchley are :-
>Ph:- 01785 251014
>Fax:- 01785 248386
>
>Geoff Love, The English Connection.

Geoff, I agree about the Octagon Club and have been a member for years. I
think your remarks about The Sacred Octagon are poorly made and a cheap shot.

I know the difficulty of putting that magazine together, and unlike the
English, Americans rarely submit articles. Secondly, the view points are
different, and although they are about the same cars, the readership is
very different. Dick Knudson begs for people to submit material and
articles, but they rarely do. I have in the past, and it isn't easy. If you
object to what is run, then submit something you like. Dick will publish
it. It isn't necessary to take a swipe at Dick or his family. Enough said.

Mike