The Sacred Octagon/The Bulletin

To: Leckstein <bleckstein@monmouth.com>
Subject: The Sacred Octagon/The Bulletin
From: Geoff Love <engconn@infi.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 1997 09:39:41 -0500
Leckstein wrote:

> >> SNIP>>>
>
> As far as tech articles, that  is dependent on a tech editor. When Chip
> Olds held that position, it set the standard of the hobby, and the T type
> Handbook which is a collection of the articles is in its zillionth
> printing. No one has come forward to do that job at the present. I would
> nominate you if you want.>>>>SNIP>>>>

Thank you, but no thank you.  Would that I had the time. The articles
written by Chip Olds were and still are, invaluable.  It is sad he is no
longer in a position to be able to make contributions of that nature.
That, to my mind is the real stuff a club magazine is made of.  I have
two copies, one for my workshop bench and one for the den.
<<<<<

> As far as the Mille Miglia episode, the register was promised a place, and
> a car was prepared at great expense. Shortly before the final arrangements
> were to be made, the place was withdrawn by the MGCC which had some control
> of the MG positions. This was at a time that there was some very bad
> feeling over the MGCC attempt to take over the U.S. Clubs. This was opposed
> by all the National U.S. Clubs and Harry Crutchley as well. That is another
> story that would wipe out my one finger that does this typing.<<<<SNIP<<<<

I heard only vague rumours of that debacle.  What I heard was enough for
me to think that the episode was an arrogant, totally unwarranteed and
unjustified interference by a bunch of misguided petty megalamaniacs. I
was pleased it did not go through, but saddened at the ill will it
generated. I understand they are literally paying for it now.

>  No monies were kept from the solicitation, and the four members involved in
>the
> venture paid for the preparation of the car that didn't go from their own
> pockets. I have first hand knowledge of this.>>>>SNIP>>>>

Thank you for clearing up that point.  I wonder why Mr. Knudsen didn't
make that clear in TSO at the time, and circumvent some of the rumours
prevalent at the time?>>>SNIP>>>

> I do not have to defend Dick to you or anyone else. <<<<SNIP>>>>

That's strange.  I was under then impression that's exactly what your
letter to me was totally about.

You have formed an opinion that is wrong and unfounded,>>>>SNIP>>>>

Opinions, like beauty, are entirely in the eyes of the
beholder.>>>>SNIP>>>>

 but nothing I can say will change it.>>>>SNIP>>>>

On the contrary, you just did, by your explanation of the the Mille
Miglia episode, and I have no reason to disbelieve your explanation.

> Dick never made a dime out of the Register, unlike Rouche Bentley, or those
> who headed the MGCC when they attempted the U.S. conquest. Thousands of
> dollars of MGCC money and the investment of those in the U.S. who signed up
> have not been accounted for. I know as I was asked by the leadership in
> England, after the board of directors were turned out, to collect the
> assets and get an accounting. Instead three people tried to run it anyway.
> I will not name them, but you would know them. These people slandered the
> Register, lied to the MGCC and eventually sold the shirts etc. of the
> defunct effort privately.>>>>SNIP>>>>

My comments above apply, and I would further add, now that you have made
me aware of these facts, that some sort of prosecution is warranted.
Fraud is fraud, no matter where you are.

> Dick Knudson lives in a very, very modest house on a limited income. He is
> a poor business man but a  great enthusiast. >>>>SNIP>>>>

Sounds like a description of me!

He has retired as chairman because he wanted to ensure a smooth
transition in the leadership of  the
> Register now that he is in his late 60's. He is not retiring because of
> anything sinister .>>>>SNIP>>>>

 I am delighted to hear it.  I look forward to reading the accolades
which presumably TSO will be printing in the near future before my
subscription expires.

> The terrible thing you did in your post to the list was to make a remark
> that was unfounded against someone not present to answer.My mother taught
> me not to talk behind people's backs, and if you can't say something nice
> don't say it. Your comment in praise of the Octagon Club was fine, and I
> agree, but it was unnecessary to add an attack on Knudson >>>>SNIP>>>>

As far as I can understand, I didn't think that I had made any attack on
Mr. Knudsen personally, merely the content of the magazine. I said, and
I say again, I am not interested in looking at pictures of Mr Knudsen's
children or people in fancy dress.  That is my opinion of a magazine's
content, not a personal attack on the editor, and I will continue to
hold that opinion.

 . Mark Sherman is
> a friend of mine, and a member of the Register. >>>>SNIP>>>>

I am pleased for you that Mr. Sherman is a friend of your's although I
don't quite understand the relevance.  Mr Sherman hasn't yet expressed
his comments to me.

It was totally uncalled
> for, and if you are the person I think and hope you are, you should
> apologize for your remarks to the whole list.

If my remarks have been mis-construed by your good self and others as a
personal attack on Mr Knudsen, then I apologise both to you singly, and
to the list collectively, for my apparant inability to state my opinions
in a more concise manner. I hope the foregoing closes the matter.

Since my comments re the Bulletin, I have received 3 enquiries for the
particulars of the club I spoke about and have answered them directly.
To save other listers, who may also be interested in the particulars,
the bother of e-mailing me directly, the address of The Octagon Car Club
is:-

                                19 Hollins Business Centre
                                Rowley Street
                                Stafford, ST16 2RH