Re: Ignition light

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Ignition light
From: Rootes2@aol.com
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 11:16:29 -0500 (EST)
Tom Wagner wrote:

>Can someone help out here with this problem:
>
>History:
>
>67 MGB
>Generator(Dynamo) checked
>Battery new
>
>Here is what is happening:
>
>Car runs and starts fine during daytime hiours,
>but when night comes and the lights are on
>the engine will not turn over. Ignition light stays
>on all the time.  Generator checked out - producing
>13.75 Volts, and checked the battery and it measures
>13.50 Volts when engine is running.  One more thing
>is the voltage regulator on the firewall has been
>cleaned.
>
>Can not understand why the engine will not start
>at night.

A possibility....  the starter relay requires a certain amount of power in
order to engage the starter. I work in a VW-Saab dealer, and a common problem
for high mileage VWs is a drop in voltage supplied to the starter solenoid
under certain conditions. Since your problem is a "won't crank", it must be
starter circuit related, not ignition circuit - ie "cranks, but won't start"
Check with a voltmeter at the starter relay, and see how many volts get to
the relay when you have the light on, and when you don't. Maybe there is
enough of a voltage drop that it won't activate the relay.

Just a thought.....

Jon Arzt                Rootes2@aol.com

58  MG Magnette
66  Sunbeam Alpine
67  Sunbeam caravanette
72  Plymouth Cricket   -  yes, it's British!