Re: mgb valve guide seals - don't gilt the lilly.

To: dfdarby@juno.com, mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Subject: Re: mgb valve guide seals - don't gilt the lilly.
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 08:35:56 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-03-11 00:26:32 EST, dfdarby@juno.com (David F. Darby)
writes:

 <<  I am going to replace the valve guide seals on my '70B engine this
 >spring. While I was at GOF West, I met a fellow who worked in an MG
 >restoration shop in California.  He said that the best replacement valve
 >seal was the type used in Buick V6 engines.  >>

John, David,

Just about anything would be better than the original "O" ring on the valve
stem. Half of them popped off after the first six months and ended up in the
pan, anyway. I was really concerned about these seals five years ago when I
did a major rebuild on my engine. I considered the extra machine work on the
valve stem towers and researched a teflon CircleSeal unit but, never got
around to it.

Now, on the other hand, I've got 40,000 miles on that overhaul and I still
don't have to add ANY oil between 4,000 mile changes and I do have a slight
leak, too! It's British you know.

Put those Buick, or CircleSeals or whatever you want on there for whatever
peace of mind it gives but, I really question the necessity. Besides you need
a tiny bit of lubrication down there if you don't want to seize a valve. I
wouldn't go the expense or bother. Assuming your machinist sets up the
tolerances correctly, you'll never notice the difference.

R. Johnson - Dallas

'90 Maine Coon
'79 Midget
'76 Midget