More front suspension questions, this weather bites

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: More front suspension questions, this weather bites
From: William Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 08:45:03 -0600
Hello, again

I was back at it last night trying to right the terrible wrongs that time
and nature have done to my 1600 Mk 1's front suspension.  I need to get the
lower trunnion off the kingpin but it hits the brake disk.  I tried to
remove the hub assembly from the stub axle but it has not been cooperative.
 According to the workshop manual, you need a special too to accomplish
this feat.  Any list wisdom on alternate separation methods?  My steering
wheel puller is too small.

I need to get the lower trunnion off so that I can replace the rubber seal
that seals between the trunnion and the kingpin.  Mine have completely
disappeared over the years.

I never had these problems when I had my B.  This was because the family
business was a machine shop.  I had the necessary tools and materials at my
disposal to effect acceptable repair.  On the B, I made steel collars and
welded them into the oblong holes in the suspension arms.  I also threw
away all of that sissy rubber and replaced it with Oilite bronze bushings.
Needless to say, turn in was razor sharp.

Last week was pretty nice around here, weather wise so the road were
getting pretty dry.  I was hoping to get the A back together and out on the
road by next weekend.  Today we are supposed to get 6-12 inches of snow.  I
guess this means that I will have a little more time to sort out my
suspension problems.  I should have gone our for a quick drive before I
tore the car apart.  Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.

I am on the digest so I have not see all the responses to my previous post
but thanks to the people who have responded.  April 1st is my new goal for
hitting the road, provided the stupid weather cooperates.

Regards
Bill Eastman
61 MGA still without a wheel to stand on.