Austin Cambrian from

To: <GTE/kww@gte.net>
Subject: Austin Cambrian from
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 10:05:25 -0500
>W. R. Gibbons wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 12 Mar 1997 canstey@dircon.co.uk wrote:
>>
>> > Doug Mitchell writes, "My question for the group is does anyone
>> >  [...]
>> > For some unknown reason the car was sold as the Austin Cambrian in
>> > the US and Canada.. possibly to underline that it was a British car
>> > and to avoid confusion with Cambridge, Mass.. or maybe some US
>> > manufacturer had registered the name "Cambridge" (A Chevrolet
>> > Cambridge?????)
>> >

>> My brother had a Farina Austin way back when.  It's been a very long time,
>> but I would have sworn it was a Cambridge, not a Cambrian.  I've never
>> heard of the latter name.  His was a LHD US spec car.
>> According to my Encyclopedia of Imported Cars, "Cambrian" was the name used
>in some sales literature, even though it was actually sold and emblemed
>(emblazoned?)
>as a Cambridge.
>
>                        Kevin Wayne Williams

Ray is quite correct when he states that the Austin Cambrian was a
re-badged Cambridge.  The car was sold in Canada and probably the US from
some time after the introduction of the A55 until the advent of the Farina
Austins.  There is one currently running in Edmonton which I have driven.

John McEwen