FW: 3-Main leaking

To: mgs
Subject: FW: 3-Main leaking
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 01:41:37 -0700 (MST)
[Gerry, turn off that WINMAIL.DAT stuff and you'll be able to post.  mjb.]

     Date: Fri Mar 07 16:40 EST 1997
     From: "Brinkmann, Gerry" <brinkg@uf4124p01.BHeightsNJ.ncr.com>
     Subject: 3-Main leaking

I have a couple of  3-main MGB engine with the same annoying problem.
They both have an oil leak from the rear of the engine. On the 5-main,
the engine endplate has on oil-seal to prevent this, but the 3-main does
not have that oil seal (very similar to the A-series engines). Has
anybody come up with a cure for obtaining a good oil seal at the back
????

Initially, I was thinking of getting and endplate from a 5-main and
installing it on the 3-main, but I think the size of the crank-sealing
surface is of a different diameter, so the endplates essentially are not
interchangeable.

I would not mind it so much but a couple of drops of oil always land on
the exhaust pipe, creating an interesting smell inside the car.

Any thoughts ?

gerry