Re: Hey, hey, what can I say? I got an MG; it won't run today

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Hey, hey, what can I say? I got an MG; it won't run today
From: ckr <ragthyme@fls.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 11:54:53 -0500
RJohn50603@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 97-03-17 11:42:58 EST, thomas_pokrefke@juno.com (Thomas J
> Pokrefke) writes:
>
> << When driving, the needle on the tach swings wildly, while the engine revs
>  actually decline.  Of course, this is accompanied by horrendous
>  back-firing, usually out the tail pipe but occasionally through the carb.
>   The deal lasts until I acclerate, and then it disappears.
>
>  A quick but thorough inspection of the ignition system revealed nothing
>  out of the ordinary.  The resistor block on the coil is cracked, but has
>  been that way for 3 years (a little grey tape goes a long way...).  My
>  car has the Alison XR-700 ignition conversion (does anyone have the
>  instruction manual for that they would like to copy?).  Any suggestions
>  as to what is wrong?
>
>  Thomas James Pokrefke, III >>

Thomas:

Glad you brought this one up ... it was next on my list. ;)  You sure
you're not borrowing my MG when I'm not looking? Seems like we've got
the same bloody set of problems ...

I've run this one down to a faulty connector on the coil; mine's a bodge
put in when I was having severe alternator problems two years ago.
Seems the bodge has come home to roost (to horribly mix and mangle my
metaphors).

Corey
75 MGB 'Rags'