Re: Catalytic Converter?

To: Michael Sosnow <msosnow@cco.net>
Subject: Re: Catalytic Converter?
From: ckr <ragthyme@fls.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 11:33:46 -0500
Michael Sosnow wrote:

> I have been told that starting in 1975 all American MGBs were equipped
> with a converter unless they are really 1974 1/2s. My 1975 MGB does not
> have a catalytic converter although it is equipped with the single
> zenith carb.  Anybody know if it is stock or modified?
>
> Michael Sosnow
> 1975 MGB

Michael:

75 was a strange year for MGB's. Very early 75's (through March or so,
I believe) had single Zeniths, no cat, a Lucas 45D dizzy (points) and
no special trim options.  Midyear 75's (through August, I believe) had
a catalytic converter, single Zenith, and a 45D dizzy, but some special
trim packages (anniversary edition, for example) were available. Late
year cars are indistinguishable from the 76's ... had the Zenith,
cat converter, but had the Lucas 45DE (electronic ignition) dizzy
fitted to them. The only thing left to mark them as 75's were the chrome
licence plate lamps and the anniversary trim options.

Hope that helps.

Corey
75 MGB 'Rags'