MGA questions (which are the best?)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGA questions (which are the best?)
From: TJ Noto <tjn@rahul.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 08:32:27 -0800
Ok, so my SO has been pining for one of those three letter
acronym'd roadsters that hail from Germany...and with two
LBCs already in the paddock I've not tried to lure her to
the dark side (I'm busy enough as it is!)  Then last night
it happened....we drove by a lot with a sweet looking MGA
and she said "THAT'S IT"  "HONEY I WANT THAT CAR"!

After telling her all the "trying" characteristics that such
a car would present her with...she remained resolute....she
really wants to check this car out.....

So..barring this guy wanting some astronomical 5 digit number
for this car we might go check it out...it's a 1600 so it's
somewhere around 59/60 right?  I'm familiar enough with the
engine design, gearbox and running gear from my 7 year
ownership of my B.....what are the general "gotchas" with
the A?  And what are considered to be the "best" years?

I know about the Twin-Cam...I know about the coupes....

What is the general consensus with regard to MGAs?  I'm guessing
this cat will want about $10,000 for this car, based on my gut
feel....what's the high and low ranges for these models.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Regards,
TJ
--
TJ Noto         Palo Alto       CA              USA
http://www.rahul.net/tjn