Re: Smogging the B -Reply

To: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Smogging the B -Reply
From: The English Connection <engconn@pot.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 09:55:17 -0500
EMILY COWEN wrote:

> Hi John McEwen!!

> > plants and finally a big one which no one mentions, jet aircraft.  The
> > average 747 puts out more atmospheric junk in one takeoff than any 10 LBCs
> > will do in their lifetimes.
>
> Yes, but 99% is "up there", not down here where we live. >>>>SNIP>>>>

Take offs happen at ground level, not "up there'>>>>>>

Besides,
> they've got lots of engine smog controls as well.  Just watch a honking
> big military jet take off with a heavy load, and you'll see the engines
> pumping smoke!!

I've often wondered about the pollution from a jet aircraft's engines
upon take off, and how it compares to, say, a year's motoring in my MG
TD, and I also wonder if any studies have been done by farmer's
scientific advisors as to how the growth of crops might be affected on
days when the atmospheric conditions allow contrails from high flying
aircraft to coagulate to such an extent that the 'sky' becomes covered
with a thin tenuous layer of cirrus cloud, thereby, presumably, reducing
the sun's effectiveness.

  I feel that pollution is a most important issue with which to be
concerned, especially as both myself and two of my daughters suffer from
mild asthma and hayfever, irritated on high pollution days.  However, I
also feel it is most important that we LBC owners, and others interested
in enjoying our vehicles be dealt with on a fair basis, and we probably
need an organisation like perhaps, COVA, to lobby effectively on our
behalf.

Geoff Love.