Re: Whistles on Cars? Could it have been April 1?

To: Simon.MATTHEWS@st.com
Subject: Re: Whistles on Cars? Could it have been April 1?
From: Eddie Sheffield <sheffield@telos.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 10:28:51 -0500
Simon.MATTHEWS@st.com wrote:

>      Hmmm... I just realized that it was YESTERDAY's paper that I was
>      looking at -- ie. April 1! BMW having a joke at my expense?
>
>      Simon Matthews said:
>
> >     Warning: LBC content = 0
> >
> >     Humour mode ON
> >
> >     I just read an ad. in a UK newpaper for BMW cars -- they announced
> >     that their cars will now be fitted with a device that emits ultrasound
> >     (between 20Khz and 45KHz) to encourage animals (such as hedgehogs) to
> >     get off the road.
> >
> >     Quite how hedgehogs are supposed to understand the meaning of the
> >     sound, or indeed, the question of whether hedgehogs actually
> >     understand the concept of a road is not discussed in the ad..
> >
> >     Perhaps CATS might be clever enough to understand it? Now what does
> >     MOWOG stand for, or M.G.? :-)
> >
> >     Humour mode still ON (one should never turn it off!)
> >
> >     Simon

Hi,

Wasn't real sure if you actually saw such an ad or if _you_ were having
a joke at _our_ expense. But if there were such an ad it might make some
sense.

I know a popular item where there are a lot of deer are these little
black plastic things that you mount on your front bumper or behind the
grill so air can blow through them. Supposedly the sound, which I think
is inaudible to humans, is very irritating to deer and will drive them
away. I can't really say if they actually work or not. I've never used
them myself, although I've often seen deer along the road around here
(Northern Virginia) and a friend of mine hit one several years back in
this area. I don't know if these things affect other animals or not. I
guess it would depend on how they are tuned.

Joke or not, it might be a good idea!

Eddie Sheffield

sheffield@telos.com