Re: Whistles on Cars? Could it have been April 1?

To: Eddie Sheffield <sheffield@telos.com>
Subject: Re: Whistles on Cars? Could it have been April 1?
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 01:20:21 -0800 (PST)
On Wed, 2 Apr 1997, Eddie Sheffield wrote:

> I know a popular item where there are a lot of deer are these little
> black plastic things that you mount on your front bumper or behind the
> grill so air can blow through them. Supposedly the sound, which I think

I've got two on my B.

> is inaudible to humans, is very irritating to deer and will drive them

The sound is ultrasonic.  I don't know if the sound is irritating, but I
know that the higher the pitch, the more directional the sound appears.
That gives the deer a chance to track your approach.

> away. I can't really say if they actually work or not. I've never used

Each time I've encountered deer at the side of the road, they've gone
back into the bush, NOT run across the road.  Same thing with rabbits.

> them myself, although I've often seen deer along the road around here

My worst encounter was drifting around a corner (ala Stirling Moss), and
seeing a bunch of them down in the off side ditch.  Their heads snapped
up, and they ran up out of the ditch and across the road in front of me
as I skidded through them with the wheels locked up.  I was driving a
TR4A irs, and would have been dog meat if I'd hit one of them.

> (Northern Virginia) and a friend of mine hit one several years back in

Can you imagine hitting a cow, or bull??  Smash...

> Joke or not, it might be a good idea!

It's certainly cheap insurance.  Mine were from a clearance outfit-
$1.49 per pack.

TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen