FW: Re: Oil leak at idle

To: mgs
Subject: FW: Re: Oil leak at idle
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 18:17:03 -0700 (MST)
[BOUNCE mgs@Autox.Team.Net:     global taboo body match "/WINMAIL.DAT/i" at
line 40]

     Date: Thu Mar 27 20:27 EST 1997
     From: "Brinkmann, Gerry" <brinkg@uf4124p01.BHeightsNJ.ncr.com>
     Subject: Oil leak at idle

>Last fall Idid a rebuild of my 68B engine and it turned out well, except
>for a minor problem.  It seems that when sitting at idle, oil leaks from
>the lower side of the engine.  It may be coming out of the dipstick hole,
>but I'm not sure.  It does seem tobe on that side of the engine, however.
>It has about 60lb pressure at speed and nearly that at idle.  Could the oil
>pressure relief valve be sticking?  Has anyone out there "been there and
>done that"?

First step to tracing an oil leak is to thoroughly de-greased and wash
the engine. Place a piece of cardboard on the ground and have the car
idling with the cardboard under the engine.  After oil starts dripping
on the cardboard, stop the engine, jack the car up and use a plumb
line on the oil stain on the cardboard to determine where the oil is
dripping from the engine.

Then trace back from that point and see if you can find the source of
the oil leak. A common place for an oil leak on the dizzy side of the
engine, is the rear oil cooler line.  They are hard to tighten
properly, and tend to dribble in the side of starter. Then run down
the other side of the starter onto the floor.

I am going through exactly the same right now. I have a couple of
drops on my garage floor which seem to indicate this area.  BTW -
don't over look the rocker cover gasket.

gerry