Re: Floor Pans

To: Don Walton <dhw@atomic.net>
Subject: Re: Floor Pans
From: Jim Boyd <gumby@joshuanet.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 1997 07:35:58 -0700
Hey Don:

I have done a few of these floor repairs and they aren't that difficult!
But a quote of $100 per side is a good deal!  But if you have more time than
$$ and have a few helpful tools such as a MIG welder and an air compressor
driven air chisel, the work will proceed much quicker!  Without these tools,
especially the mig welder, I would consider having the work done by a
professional.

If you do complete the job yourself, just take your time and plan out your
attack.  I have assumed that the floor rust is so bad that a simple patch
here or there won't suffice, right?  Then order your panels ahead of time so
that you can measure your car floor BEFORE any cutting takes place.  I have
seen guys cut out the rusty floors, then receive their new panels from Moss,
only to discover that they cut away too much of the rusty floor section.
Not a happy discovery, I might add!

Another friend installed the new floors but failed to get under the car to
see how it looked.  Although from the inside of the car, everything looked
fine, he had not removed enough of the floor section and he ended up being
about 1" up off the floor supports.  He is on the short side, so he actually
liked how this job turned out. But for most of us, we would be very unhappy!
The new floors lacked the support from the frame that they need to function
correctly.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Jim Boyd