Re: Floor Pans

To: dhw@atomic.net
Subject: Re: Floor Pans
From: ps4330@okc01.rb.jccbi.gov (Peter Schauss x 2014)
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 14:55:14 -0400
> Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 10:09:17 -0400
> From: Don Walton <dhw@atomic.net>
> Subject: Floor Pans

> Any advise for installing floor pans in a B?  I'm going to have to do it or
> have it done.  I know a place that will do it for 100.00 per side but I will
> have to trailer the car an hour away and probably have to wait for a month
> or more.  The DIY Repair and Restoration manual has a short blerb on welding
> them in, but they don't tell how they got them out.  Are we talking
> spot-weld cutter, nuclear powered laser beam or what.
>                  I have an address of a company that sells auto body
> equipment and supplies to the trade( which I am not in, I'm a potter not an
> auto body man!)  I bought a nice HVLP gravity fed gun and regulator which
> really works great.  The name is: Tools USA ,  phone # 1-800-451-2425.  Once
> you get on their list you will recieve a flier from them every couple of
> weeks for who knows how long.

>                                                        Don Walton in NC
>                                                        2 B's in pieces

I just did this on mine as part of a larger project.
If you get the complete floor section from Moss, it comes with a flange
running around all of the edges.  The flange for the transmission tunnel
side is about 1/2 inch high, the flange for the inner sill side is about
an 1 1/2 - 2 inches.

I used an air cutoff tool to remove the old floor, being carefull to cut
around the frame members which it sits on.  Then I used my MIG welder
to weld in the new floor.  I was advised by people on this list not to leave
a flange at the base of the transmission tunnel when cutting out the
old floor.  If I were doing it again, I would have left a flange there
and removed the corresponding flange from the floor section.  The fit
between the new floor section and the side of the transmission tunnel
required a considerable amount of persuasion the way I did it.

BTW, I also agree with the person who said that $100 per side is a good deal.
Check the guy's references if you don't already have testimonials to his
work.  If you are only working weekends on this project, it will probably
take you close to a month to do the work.

At the price this shop is quoting it would seem that you could afford the
cost of hiring a flat bed to transport the car.  Either that or see if
he could send one out to pick the car up.

Peter Schauss
ps4330@okc01.rb.jccbi.gov
schauss@worldnet.att.net
1963 Austin-Healey 3000 Mk II