Re: Clutch Problems, lever Won't return

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, Jay Quinn <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch Problems, lever Won't return
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 20:33:19 +0000
Jay Quinn wrote:

> Hello Everyone:
>
> I've got clutch problems now.  :(
>
> I ordered a slave rebuild kit because I could see it leaking and the
> outside rubber grommet had popped off as well.
>
> After taking off and rebuilding and replacing, I discovered that the
> retaining ring was gone on the slave cylinder unit.  That was because the
> slave piston broken it out and thats what allowed the piston to go far
> enough out the slave cylinder (Breaking the retaining ring) and popping off
> the outside rubber grommet.
>
> Anyway, after replacing and trying to bleed out the air of the clutch it
> was noticed that the lever that the slave pushes against wan't returning
> back to the rest position, or what I think is an engaged position.   IOW,
> still like it was pushed in.
>
> This has lead me to believe that the spring that works with the throw out
> bearing and the pressure plate is broken with inside the clutch area.  And
> thats why the lever doesn't seem to return and thats why the piston in the
> slave travels to far to brea kthe retaining ring and so on.  Thats my story
> and I'm sticking by it
>
> Anyone out there have any advise on what to do, look at and what to try to
> repair this problem?
>
> Thanks in advance,

> --
> Jay Quinn       Systems Engineer
> jpquinn@cyberramp.net   Pager: 972.319.7611
> http://www.cyberramp.net/~jpquinn/index.htm

This happened to me when the release bearing wore away on one side.
Had to drive 70 miles cross-country through roundabouts, junctions
and traffic lights to get home.  Did the whole journey in top and
O/D top.  Clutch had stopped disengaging and a couple of pumps on the
pedal was enough to force the piston out of the cylinder.  New
three-part kit fixed it.

PaulH.