FW: Re: Clutch Problems, lever Won't return

To: mgs
Subject: FW: Re: Clutch Problems, lever Won't return
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 18:11:13 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE mgs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from [David Councill
<dcouncil@imt.net>]]

     Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 17:58:07 -0600
     From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
     Subject: Re: Clutch Problems, lever Won't return

>This happened to me when the release bearing wore away on one side.
>Had to drive 70 miles cross-country through roundabouts, junctions
>and traffic lights to get home.  Did the whole journey in top and
>O/D top.  Clutch had stopped disengaging and a couple of pumps on the
>pedal was enough to force the piston out of the cylinder.  New
>three-part kit fixed it.
>
>PaulH.

This happened to me too, just last year. But it was only twenty miles for
me, half of it interstate and half in city driving. Had to drive in second
gear.

When I got home, I wrote to the list in hopes someone would tell me the
piston popped out due to a stuck relief valve or something else simple. But
as usual, it was the worse case scenario, and I had to pull the
transmission out.

Fortunately, Moss had the three part kit on sale for around $90.

The release bearing was completely worn on one side and the clutch pressure
plate also had excessive wear. That allowed for another half inch of travel.

David