[Fwd: Re: 1978 MGB - Mallory Distributor]

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: [Fwd: Re: 1978 MGB - Mallory Distributor]
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 23:24:04 +0100

--------------3BB3366CE32

Oops, I meant to copy this to the entire list.

--------------3BB3366CE32

Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 23:22:01 +0100
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
To: D D B <dbavery1@juno.com>
Subject: Re: 1978 MGB - Mallory Distributor

D D B wrote:

> I have a couple questions for the list.  I am considering replacing my
> parrana -sometimes works - distributor in my 1978 B with a Mallory dual
> point.  This is a daily driver - street cruising only.  I have a Weber
> down draft carb on it and the rest is stock.
>
> 1st question - What is the advantage/disadvantage of the vacuum advance
> distributor on a street daily driver vs just mechanical advance.

Vacuum advance increases fuel economy and provides for smoother running
when cruising. It does nothing (for or against) performance. When using
Vacuum Advance, it must be connected to *ported vacuum* which is a port
just aft of the throttle plates on the carb -- not manifold vaccum as it
used by the power brakes. You want vaccum advance to go away as soon as
the throttle position increases.

> My 2nd question is - can anyone recommend a good, reasonable priced,
> supplier for a Mallory dual point dist, mounting bkt, drive dog, Mallory
> resistor and a Mallory coil.

There are fellas on this list that distribute for the big three. Same
stuff, less cost. I have used British Parts Connection. Dick has done
right for me. I have, unfortunately, misplaced the email adress.

Alternatively, you might ask someone to read the model number off their
Mallory. Then call Summit racing and ask them. They sell all the other
Mallories and could probably get yours, too, at a good price. Their URL
is http://www.summitracing.com/

I've been running a Mallory Dual point (w/o V. Advance) on my C/GT for a
couple of years and I like it a lot. I would have bought the Vaccum
Advance version but, with three DCOEs, there isn't much vaccum to be
found. (DCOEs don't normally have pipes for ported vaccuum.)

I like the idea of having a *new* distributor. I don't think much of the
electronic ignition systems on our old cars. And, with dual points and
the right Allen wrench in your tool box, you aren't gonna be left
stranded.

I bought the Mallory Chrome coil at the same time. It works fine.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6

--------------3BB3366CE32--