Re: Pulley

To: Thomas_Mitchell@notes.amdahl.com
Subject: Re: Pulley
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 10:50:28 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Thomas Mitchell!!

On Tue, 8 Apr 1997 Thomas_Mitchell@notes.amdahl.com wrote:

> My question today is about the harmonic balance pulley. How do I check it,?

This one's an easy one.  If the head's off, clamp a piece of metal
across the top of #1 cylinder, with a bolt projecting down about 1" or
so (length not critical).

Start with the timing mark on the vibration damper in the vertical
position, ie on top.  Turn the crank clockwise until the piston
stops against the bolt, and mark the vibration damper.  Then turn the
crank counterclockwise until the piston stops against the bolt, and
again, mark the vibration damper.  Then you measure halfway between the
marks, and that's top dead centre, or as close as damn is to swearing!

> that maybe by pulley is shot and spun on itself. Hence the timing mark is
> off.

If it's spun on the rubber, you'll see right away.  As far as I know,
the only way to bugger one of these for sure is to put a puller on the
outer rim by mistake when removing the damper assembly.  That's why the
inner hub is drilled, and tapped for removal.

> I can't seem to find a new one or anyone that can rebuild it. At least so

Well, how about a used one from a wrecker??  See if you can use/fit one
from a late model "B".

TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen