MGTF/Volvo Conversion...Clutch judder

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGTF/Volvo Conversion...Clutch judder
From: GEstep3457@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 14:59:34 -0400 (EDT)
I've had my MGTF/Volvo for years and love it, but I have had one problem and
wonder if someone might have encountered something similar. The Volvo B18
engine is tucked in well, along with the Volvo clutch and tranny. When I
bought the car a clutch judder problem was the main reason the chap sold the
car. His wife just couldn't drive it, and it was supposed to be her car. I
drove it that way a long time, and then finally replaced the clutch disc and
pressure plate. The problem remained! As a matter of fact, it was worse than
before.  A friend suggested that with the Volvo clutch, and MG mechanism, the
throw might be too short, thus allowing the components to come together too
rapidly. I put it up on his hoist and I relocated one of the clutch rods to
make a longer throw. That did help a bit. I'm thinking of having a piece
machined to put in there so I will have a lot more control over throw length.
Anyone have thoughts on this?
Happy driving. Gary

PS Thanks to several of you who helped me out on tires.  They are on the car
now.