Re: fan relay 79 MGB

To: pbailey <pbailey@qnet.com>
Subject: Re: fan relay 79 MGB
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 23:21:03 -0500
pbailey wrote:

> My &^$$#@ fan relay switch is acting up again I had replaced it a couple
> of years ago with the one from Moss.Is ther another one that can be
> readily bought and will last longer?I took it to Lindy's and they didn't
> know if a generic one would work...I really don't want another Moss
> unit....thanks   Pat

Pat -
        On my '79B, the original thermostatic switch (no relay installed) was
defective when I started the car for the first time.  Overheated, blew
the switch out of the rubber grommet and hosed coolant all over the
freshly redone engine compartment.  It's amazing how much boiling water
can exit a 5/8" hole!!  I made a jumper that connected across the two
contacts on the plug end of the wires - the fans ran continuously, but
the engine stayed cool.  Then, I ordered a new switch from either Moss
or Vicky Brit.  It lasted about a week, caught it before the
overheat/water spray happed a second time.  Bought another switch, and
this time went to a local autoparts store and bought a 30 amp relay.  I
mounted this on the radiator support panel near the switch, connected it
so the switch activates the relay and the relay supplies the heavy
current to the motors.  I did check the current draw of the motors, and
both were within specs in the Haynes manual.
        I opened the two failed switches - the original had very heavy
contacts, should have been able to handle the current easily, but it had
rusted internally from x years sitting and not running.  The new switch
had very small contacts, I wouldn't expect them to handle more than 5
amps or so.  The '80B had the relay installed - maybe the first switch I
bought was supposed to activate a relay the way I have it now?  At any
rate, I expect much longer life, and if the relay fails, it's only about
$4.00 at any autoparts store - much better than the $20 or more for the
switch.
        Incidentally, I fabricated a stiff wire clip to hold the switch in
place in the grommet - don't want that blow-out to happen again!

--

Wayne 'Cool and Dry' Kube
1979 MGB                http://web2.airmail.net/wkube