Re: parts MG v Porsche

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: parts MG v Porsche
From: wise@db.erau.edu (John A. Wise)
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 08:04:26 +1000
=========== Mike Leckstein wrote ===============
>My multi car (all MG) hobby has been slowed this spring by the foolish
>endeavors of my middle son (age 21) ...he
>bought a used 85 Porsche 911. The car is a rocket ship when it runs, which
>hasn't been often in the last four weeks. ....
>
>The answer to anything you want is an air express from Reno Nevada (where
>they are hiding everything in case of invasion) at an extra charge, or wait
>6 business days. I guess they know that you must have another car for daily
>trans, he doesn't.
============ end snip ============

Mike

As an owner of both a '77 911 S& a '77 MGB, I can honestly report that
parts are as easy to get for the P-car as the B.  Maybe a little easier
because there are sill Porsche dealers.  There are a ton of afternarket
people out there.  The two P-car maagazines "Excellence" & "Panaorama" are
full of ads for everything.

I am supprized he is having problems with an 85 - they are pretty bullet
proof.  My '77 has an '84 engine and I am bored - there is never anything
to do on the car.  Of course, I do have the B to keep me in the action.

I would suggest you have your son get on the PorscheFans list-serve - great
peple & advice - just like here the MGs list.  He can sign up from their
WWW site   www.porschefans.com  where a list of FAQs are stored & the
list's archive.  It also has a list of P-car aftermarket suppliers.

John

John A. Wise, Ph.D., CHFP                       Tel: (+1) (904) 226-6384
Department of Human Factors & Systems           Fax: (+1) (904) 226-7050
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University            E-mail: wise@db.erau.edu
600 South Clyde Morris Blvd.
Daytona Beach, FL 32114-3900      USA