Road trip Seattle to Little Rock

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Road trip Seattle to Little Rock
From: Montefrank@aol.com
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 10:08:36 -0400 (EDT)
Just put 5100 miles on the 66 GT "parts" car.  Left Seattle and made it to
Little Rock for the grand daughter's sixth birthday in 3 days.  Took my time
coming back and made it home in four.  Car ran great.  Didn't see many LBCs
on my way.  About one for every thousand miles I drove.  (5 MGs, and one
Sunbeam roadster on a trailer)

Where is everyone?  Are all the cars still in the shop?  Was it because I was
driving during the week and not on the weekends?

Trip was strenuous, especially the concrete interstate, I 70, east of Denver
was the worst.  At times I felt I was on a ride at the carnival. Not a good
road for tube shocks.

Had a valve loosen up and start rattling east of Denver, must of been the bad
bumpy road <Joking>.  Was able to eye ball it after I figured it was intake,
and not likely to do damage.  Did a thorough job when I got to my kid's in
Arkansas.   Didn't have any problems on the way back other than dust storms,
sand storms, snow storms and wind.  Coming back through Oregon mountains snow
got heavy, hard to see, so I drove till I thought I was through the passes
and holed up in a rest area for the night.  Next morning found out I had
15-20 miles of climbing on hard packed snow and ice.  Fortunatly still had
the studded tires on.  The little GT handled like a dream and flew by
everything.

Was glad to get home and give the car and myself a rest.  75 to 85 for 5,000
miles and only used a half quart of oil.  24.5 miles per gallon.  Must be the
DGVs fault for the low mileage!

Don't be jealous.  My hands are still numb.

Marc
66 MGB GT (parts car extrodinaire)
74 B Roadster, patiently waiting for All State
59A RIP (restoration in progress)
3 Magnettes (for sale)
74 Marina