Re: Lowering a rubber bumper midget

To: "Aron Travis" <atravis@spacey.net>, "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Lowering a rubber bumper midget
From: macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 97 09:07:43 -0400
>I'm going to have to do some front suspension work on my '78 midget in
>the very near future. While I'm at it I would like to lower it to the
>pre-rubber bumper height. What is the best way to do this? I am planing
>on new springs in the front as one is damaged, do I just need shorter
>springs? Can I just use springs for the 1275cc midgets, even though mine
>is the 1500cc?
>Should I bother to change to tube shocks? or, to put it another way, are
>tube shocks worth it?
>I'm sure these questions have been asked a thousand times before, can
>anyone recomend a book or article that covers modifications like these?
>-Aron Travis-
>"always in a automotive frenzy"
I bought a couple of Springs from VB a few years back, stiffer and about
1/2 - 3/4" lower on the front. I think they cost about $100, but I don't
remember and I don't have a catalog in front of me. They were worth it.
the car handles much better. One caveat - be aware of clearance for the
front tires. I have 165/70-13's and they rubbed the fender after that. I
took to a friend in a body shop and had the wheel arch lips folded to
give more clearance. If you do thateither seal them or make sure you
clean them out regularily as it is a good trap for dirt and moisture. (I
cleaned and sealed w/ silicone).

Good Luck
Larry Macy
78 Midget