Re: Fram Filter for Moss MGA Oil Filter Conversion

To: barneymg@juno.com
Subject: Re: Fram Filter for Moss MGA Oil Filter Conversion
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 12:44:29 EDT
Barney:-

Thank you for a coherent, cohesive, thorough discussion of the subject.
I think the net of it is that the filter I'm using is probably OK.  I do
have the following questions, however.

On Tue, 15 Apr 1997 07:12:20 EDT barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
writes:

>I keep things, so surprisingly, I can answer all those questions, I
>hope you like the answers.

One answer I did not like was the following:

>235-940.  That one had a design defect, didn't seal correctly
>internally to the engine block, and would bypass oil without being
>filtered.  Moss discovered the problem and stopped selling it shortly
>thereafter.

I bought my spin-on conversion kit about the same time (I think, I'll
have to check my records tonight).  How do I know if I have the defective
one?  This scares the hell out of me that I have been running the car
this many years with a defective kit.  I installed it in connection with
a rebuild, too.

>trunk.  The original MGA oil filter setup DOES have a pressure relief
>valve built into the filter mounting head (the part where the external
>pipe connects).

My car is a MkII that came with an oil cooler.  The filter head was not
replaced in the process of conversion, rather the bolt goes through the
block that came with the kit and then through the filter head, where the
external oil line attaches.  This thing is a real pain to get right
because you've got to get all three items lined up properly.  In the
filter head there is a spring thingy.  Is this the original relief valve?

>don't have to take.  Other than that, if you get a major brand filter
>that physically fits on the spin-on adapter and does have the visible
>rubber check valve, I think you'll be OK.  Any size or shape should

Sorry to be obtuse, but what really does the rubber check valve look
like?  Can you see that it is there just if there is rubber material
underneath those holes?  Can you push on it with a pen or something to
make it flex?

>Did anyone finish reading this whole post?

Yes, and aren't you glad that I did, especially since I asked all these
annoying questions? ;-)

David Littlefield
Houston, TX