Re: '78 Midget Speedo

To: "Vince J. Pujalte" <pujalte@stic.net>, "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: '78 Midget Speedo
From: macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 97 09:00:02 -0400
>Hi Larry,
>  I promise that I will send you the exact installation location of my
>wing vents in the next few days. They do work well.
>  May I ask YOU a favor?
>  The speedo on my '78 Midget is inaccurate; secondary to a poor repair.
>  In the possibly mistaken belief that your speedo IS accurate, I make
>the following request:
>  Would you please tell me the RPM's at 55, 65, and 70 MPH?
>  I would really appreciate it!
>
>Thanks and God Bless,
>-Vince
>San Antonio, Texas
I would be more than glad to. However, Right now I have the front
suspension apart as I am rebuilding it in anticipation of a Driving
vacation later this year. and it is currently on blocks. I should have it
running in a couple of weeks and can check that then. In the possibly
mistaken belief that my speedo is accurate. Until then why don't you ask
the rest of the list. Also, remember that tire size has a significant
effect on RPM's at a particular speed, and it is necessary to know what
size tire you have (circumference). Even tires of the same size, i.e.
165/70-13's, from different makers can have different circumferences. So
RPM at a certain speed can differ quite a bit. If you are willing to put
up with a few mph's off you can get a pretty reliable estimate.  OR get a
friend with an "accurate" speedo to run up to thos speeds and then check
it. :)

Larry Macy
78 Midget

PS I am going to CC: this to the list as I would be interested in others
comments