Re: Pump conversion: how many fuel filters?

To: nbenson@ci.fort-collins.co.us
Subject: Re: Pump conversion: how many fuel filters?
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 13:52:34 -0500 (CDT)
Nick Benson writes:

> I successfully mounted a Purolator 0-4psi electric pump on my '78 Midget,
> and noticed in the instructions that it is recommended that a fuel filter is
> installed before the pump.

Of course it's "recommended", in much the same way that brushing your
teeth every hour is "recommended".

> Also, since I've mounted the electric fuel pump underneath the car for
> safety, (not in the trunk), someone suggested that I use a
> motorcycle/jetski/waverunner fuel filter to combat the water and such
> that will surely find its way to the pump area.

Huh?  Never heard that one before.  Please note that the vast majority
of 'Bs (and, by inductance, I presume Midgets also) have the fuel pump
mounted under the car, and did not have a single filter fitted until
just ahead of the carbs.  There are some who will use this statement as
a damnation of the whole SU Fuel Pump ethos, to whom I say "PPTTHTHHTH".

--

Todd Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Tourer, ugly, but back from the dead

(witty quote here)