Re: Ground locations.

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Ground locations.
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 16:19:45 -0700
At 08:14 PM 4/11/97 +0000, you wrote:

>As well as grounds, there are potentially (ho ho) two diodes in
>late-spec USA cars that can cause all sorts of funny problems if they
>fail short-circuit.  One diode is in the handbrake warning circuit
>(could be mounted behind the glove box) and the other is in the service
>interval counter.  I think if the former fails it means you can't turn
>off the engine if the handbrake is on.

I can verify this.  The diode on the hand brake warning light went FUBAR on
my `76 and I could not shut off the car.  Even with the keys in my lap in
burbbled happily along.  Short term fix: don't engage the hand brake untill
the motor is stopped (I did this).  Mid term fix: Disconnect the hand brake
warning light at the switch at the base of the hand brake lever (I did this
too) Long term fix: locate and replace the defective diode (I tried this but
the diode was not on my wiring diagram and apparently invisible) YMMV

Cheers,
   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT